Kooky Key Lime Fudge
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (or small 5 ounce can)
- 10 to 12 ounces white chips
- 6 or 7 ounces Marshmallow Creme or Marshmallow Fluff (may substitute 2 cups mini-marshmallows)
- 1/3 cup Key lime juice
- 1/2 cup almonds or macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Place white chips, extracts and nuts into Pyrex glass dish (or a 3-quart
saucepan) and set aside.
- Set butter aside to warm.
- Heat milk at medium setting until warm then add sugar. Bring to a rolling
boil (medium-high) while stirring constantly with a hand mixer (or wooden spoon).
- Add Marshmallow Creme and butter and mix until creamy.
- Add Key lime juice. Bring back to a boil for 5 full minutes (start timing
once the boil resumes). The mixture will start to turn a little brown during
the boil. If you get brown flakes in the mixture, then turn down the heat a
little (e.g. down to medium from medium-high) and continue to stir.
- Remove from heat and pour hot mixture over chips without scraping the sides
of the hot saucepan. Mix until chips are melted then mix in nuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Remove from pan, remove foil and cut into squares.
Key Lime juice is acidic and will cause the milk to curl. While uncosmetic,
it should not affect the fudge's ability to set.
Original recipe. © 1997 ® Skaarup. May be copied without modification. All