Coconut Penuche Patties
Originally from Mexico, penuche is a type of fudge.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup finely grated FRESH coconut
- 1 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- About 18 pecans, halves
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugars, corn syrup and cream. Bring the mixture
to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Clip a candy thermometer to the side
of the saucepan. Continue to boil gently, without stirring, until a small amount
of the mixture forms a soft ball in cold water or to a temperature of 234 degrees
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add coconut, vanilla extract and butter. Do not
- Cool the mixture until lukewarm (120 degrees F) without stirring.
to blend the ingredients.
- Quickly drop the mixture by heaping teaspoonsful onto
- Press a pecan half onto each patty, and let the patties stand until they
are firm, about 3 hours.
- Wrap the patties in wax paper to store them.