- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with lightly buttered wax paper or aluminum
foil. Set aside.
- Combine sugars, salt and milk in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Continue cooking until a small
amount of mixture forms a soft ball in cold water (or to a temperature of 236 degrees
F / 110 degrees C), stirring frequently after mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla extract.
- Cool until lukewarm (110 degrees F / 45 degrees C) without stirring.
- Add coconut.
- Beat with heavy wooden spoon until mixture loses its gloss.
- Turn out at once into prepared pan.
- Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Cut into squares.