Peanut Butter Penuche
Yield: 2 pounds
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter the bottom and sides of a heavy 4-quart saucepan.
- In pan, combine the sugars, milk, corn syrup and salt.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until sugars dissolve and mixture begins to boil.
- Reduce heat; attach candy thermometer to pan. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thermometer reads 236 degrees F.
- Remove from heat; add peanut butter but do not stir it in.
- Set pan aside.
- Do not stir or move pan during cooling.
- When thermometer reaches 115 degrees F, add vanilla extract.
- Beat by hand until mixture loses its gloss.
- Pour into buttered pan.
- When penuche is only slightly warm, cut into small squares.