Louisiana Caramel Pralines
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place 2 cups sugar and milk in a large saucepan. Cook slowly, stirring often. At same time, put the 1 cup sugar in another saucepan on low heat; stir until melted. Pour slowly into the milk and sugar that should be ready to boil; stir while adding. Cook slowly until a firm ball will form when dropped into cold water (238 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Set off the heat. Add vanilla extract, pecans and butter. Beat or stir until this begins to thicken.
- Drop by spoonsful onto wax paper. They should set up immediately.