- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 pound white chocolate
- 1/2 pound candy canes or peppermint candy, crushed
- Melt bittersweet chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water or in
a microwave oven. Let cool.
- Melt butter; cool. Pour cooled butter into bowl of electric mixer and slowly
add evaporated milk. Add cooled chocolate and rum.
- Cover and refrigerate until mixture sets up, about 1 hour.
- Form into small balls, using the small end of a melon baller or rolling with
your hands. Freeze balls until firm.
- Once frozen, balls may be put into an airtight container and kept frozen until
you are ready to dip them.
- Melt white chocolate in a small bowl over hot water or in a microwave oven. Crush
candy and spread on a piece of wax paper.
- Taking about 10 truffles from the freezer at a time, dip balls in white chocolate,
lift out with a fork, let excess run off, then drop onto crushed peppermint candy
and roll to cover.
- Let harden.
- Store in an airtight container in single layers; keep in a cool place.
Yield: About 50 one-inch truffles