Basic Canned Spaghetti Sauce
- 10 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves,
- 1 tablespoon plain (non-iodized) salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon celery leaves, minced
- Peel, core and chop tomatoes. Combine with remaining ingredients in heavy saucepan.
Simmer 2 hours stirring often until desired consistency.
- Pour into hot jars to 1/2 inch from top. Wipe jar top and threads carefully with
damp cloth making sure they are thoroughly clean. Put on lids and bands. Place in
water bath canner with at least 2 inches of hot water over tops of jars. Bring canner
to gentle boil and process 30 minutes. At end of processing time, remove jars to
draft free area to cool at least 12 hours.
- Inspect each jar to make sure it is sealed, remove bands and wipe with damp cloth.
Label with date and store.
Yield: approximately 7 pints