Blackberry Pie Filling
I used tapioca instead of Clear Jel. It turned out just fine.
- 6 quarts fresh blackberries
- 7 cups granulated sugar
(can make slight adjustments for tartness of berries)
- 1 3/4 cups Clear Jel
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 9 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice (this is for safety, do not decrease amount)
- Select top quality, firm, ripe berries. Rinse berries and set aside.
- Measure lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine Clear Jel, sugar and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Add water and mix
until smooth. Stirring during the thickening process is critical for a smooth end
product. Heat, stirring mixture constantly until it bubbles. Quickly add lemon juice
and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (you may add more water at this point if
you wish to have a berry topping instead of pie filling). Remove from heat and fold in berries.
- Fill 7 quart jars, leaving 1 to 1 1/2 inches of headspace. Process in a boiling
water canner for 30 minutes at sea level, 35 minutes at 1001 to 3000 feet and 40 minutes at altitudes 3001 to 6000
Each quart of pie filling will make an 8- or 9-inch pie.
Posted by ginnyo at Recipe Goldmine 6/29/01 9:25:07 pm
Source: foodpres.com/berry.htm - Originally posted by Alice in Alabama
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.