Caramel Apple Jam
- 6 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith or Gala apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 package powdered fruit pectin
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Mix apples, water and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring, until apples are
soft (but not mushy).
- Stir in pectin. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Add sugars, cinnamon
and nutmeg. Return to rolling boil and continue to boil, stirring constantly for
- Remove from heat; skim foam.
- Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Yield: 7 1/2 pints