Chinese Plum Sauce
Serve this with egg rolls or brush it over chicken and ribs on the grill.
- 8 cups plums, pitted, halved (3 pounds/1.5 kg)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup granulated
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In large heavy saucepan, bring plums, onions, water, ginger and garlic to boil
over medium heat; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until
plums and onions are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Press through food mill or sieve and return to clean pan; stir in sugar, vinegar,
coriander, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cloves. Bring to boil, stirring; reduce heat
to low and simmer until mixture reaches consistency of applesauce, about 45 minutes.
- Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 30 minutes.
Yield: about 4 cups