Crabapple Hot Pepper Jelly
- 2 pounds crabapples
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Red wine vinegar
- 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup sweet green bell peppers*
- 1/3 cup hot peppers*
* Mix and match hot peppers for color and degree of heat.
- In a Dutch oven, combine crabapples with water. Cover and bring slowly to simmer.
Cook until crabapples are very soft. Pour into a colander lined with a square of
dampened cheesecloth and placed over a deep bowl. Weight down with a saucer and
heavy can. Let stand until dripping stops. Discard pulp.
- Pour collected juice into a liquid measure. Add enough vinegar to make 3 cups.
Combine in a saucepan with sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring. Add peppers, then boil
briskly for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Stir for 7 minutes to prevent floating
- Pour jelly into hot, sterilized 8-ounce canning jars. Seal with two-piece canning
lids. Let cool, then refrigerate. For long-term unrefrigerated storage, process
in boiling water bath for 5 minutes immediately after sealing jars.
Yield: six (8-ounce) jars
To test for set, remove pan from heat. Dip a cold metal spoon into the
liquid and hold well above the steam. Turn spoon sideways and let liquid run off.
When it forms two drops that run together and drip from edge of spoon, jelling point
has been reached.