- 4 quarts (4 pounds) cranberries
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Bring cranberries and 4 quarts water to a simmer in a large pot. DO NOT BOIL.
Simmer 5 minutes, or until most berries burst.
- Pour berries and juice into damp jelly bag or a colander lined with four layers
of clean cheesecloth. Let juice drip into a large bowl. DO NOT squeeze the bag.
- When you have extracted as much juice as possible from the pulp, return pulp
to pot with 2 quarts water. Simmer 2 minutes. Pour this pulp and juice through jelly
bag again to extract remaining juice.
- Place the 2 batches of juice in a large pot. Add sugar to suit your taste and
1 more quart water. Heat to dissolve sugar completely, but do not boil.
- Quickly pour into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 7 quarts