- 3 1/4 pounds fully ripened figs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box Sure-Jell
- 7 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Trim stems, grind figs and place in large saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, grated
lemon rind and water. Add Sure-Jell. Mix well.
- Place figs over high heat until a
hard boil is reached. Immediately add all sugar. Let come to a quick rolling boil
that will not stir down. Boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim with metal spoon. Stir and skim for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into jelly glasses
leaving 1/2 inch space at top. Cover with hot melted paraffin or seal with tops.
Yield: 12 half pints
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo /