Ginger Pear Honey
This is good with hot breads or can be used as an ice cream topping.
- 10 pounds cooking pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 ounces ginger root, grated, or 2 tablespoons powdered ginger
- 7 1/2 pounds sugar
- Grind pears and lemon with a meat grinder. Add grated rind and juice of other
- Place all ingredients in large canning kettle. Start on high heat and bring to
a boil. Turn to medium low and cook until amber and as thick as desired (approximately
1 1/2 hours).
- Place in jars and seal.
Yield: 15 pints
Recipe may be cut in half.