- 3 pounds lemons
- 8 to 10 cups granulated sugar
- Slice the lemons as thinly as possible and discard the ends. Remove and discard
all the seeds. Place the lemon slices in a nonreactive bowl and add enough water
to cover. Let stand overnight.
- Measure the lemons and water into a wide, shallow, nonreactive pan. Add an equal
volume of sugar and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Raise heat to medium-high
and cook, stirring frequently and skimming off the foam as it rises, until temperature
reaches 220 degrees F, about 1/2 hour.
- Remove marmalade from heat. To test for consistency, drop a little marmalade
on a saucer and put the saucer into the freezer until marmalade is cold, about 5
- Tip the saucer. The marmalade should just barely run. If too thin, return the
marmalade to medium-high heat and cook, testing often, until it has reached the
- Put marmalade into hot, sterilized pint or half-pint jars.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 month or, for longer storage, seal according to
reliable canning instructions.
Yield: about 4 pints