- 4 1/2 pounds pitted red cherries
- 4 1/2 pounds granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ounce almond extract
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon alum
- Soak pitted cherries overnight in heated brine.
- The next morning, drain cherries. Rinse in cold water.
- Combine cherries, water, sugar, lemon juice, and red coloring. Heat to boiling
point. Let stand 24 hours.
- Again boil juices, pour over cherries and let stand 24 hours.
- Bring to boil again. Add almond extract and cherries. Pack into hot sterilized
jars and seal.
- Water bath time from The Ball Blue Book - pints 20 minutes; quarts 25 minutes.