Peaches in Rum or Brandy Syrup
- 1 1/2 pounds firm, ripe, very small peaches
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark rum or brandy
- Scald peaches and remove skins.
- In skillet large enough to hold peaches in one layer bring to a boil the sugars
and water stirring. Add peaches cover and simmer gently for about 4 minutes. Turn
fruit over re-cover the skillet and poach peaches for about 4 minutes longer or
until they are barely tender.
- Pour rum or brandy into clean 1-quart canning jar with a 2-piece screw-on lid.
Spoon in the peaches, gently packing very tightly without squashing them.
- Boil remaining syrup to thicken it slightly, but don't let it caramelize. Pour
the syrup slowly over the fruit leaving 1/2-inch headroom. Slip thin knife carefully
around the inside walls of jar to release any air bubbles. Cover and seal jar and
place in boiling water bath to cover by 2 inches and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water and set on rack or towel to cool. Store in dark place
for at least 1 month - preferably longer - before serving.
Yield: 1 quart - about 6 servings