- 4 pounds coarse pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup pear brandy
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Prepare canning jars. Combine pears, sugar, orange juice, brandy and 1 tablespoon
of the lemon juice in a heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook slowly until the pears are very tender, about
30 to 35 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a food processor or blender, and puree it, in batches
if necessary, until it is smooth. Return the mixture to the heat, and simmer over
low heat, stirring frequently, until it is very thick, another 25 to 30 minutes.
- Taste, and add remaining lemon juice, if needed. Spoon the mixture into prepared
jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process according to manufacturer's directions, usually 10 minutes.