- 2 pounds ripe persimmons
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Prepare half-pint canning jars according to manufacturer's directions.
- Split the skins of the persimmons, and spoon out the soft flesh.
- Combine the fruit and other ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Simmer the mixture
over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is very thick.
Add a little more water if the mixture starts to be sticky.
- Spoon the chutney into the prepared jars, and screw on the lids.
- Refrigerate the jars, or process them in a water bath for 10 minutes. If you
are processing the jars, leave about 1/4-inch headspace.
The chutney is best if it is allowed to blend flavors for a couple days.