Pickled Red Delicious apples are the perfect foil to a smooth and creamy cheese
plate or as a topper to a bright spinach salad with walnuts and caramelized pecans.
These fresh pickles keep in the fridge up to three days.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup good quality cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 slices (1-inch x 2-inch/2.5 cm x 5 cm) gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 2 Washington Red Delicious apples
- In saucepan over medium heat, stir together water, vinegar and sugar until sugar
dissolves. Simmer without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add gingerroot,
salt and pickling spice.
- Quarter apples lengthwise and remove cores. Quarter each piece and arrange in
a clean 1 L (4 cup) lidded glass jar. Pour hot pickling liquid over apples. Use
a piece of wax paper folded up in the top of the jar to keep the apples submerged
in the pickling liquid. Let cool completely at room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to 3 days.
Yield: 1 L (4 cups)
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Washington Apple Commission
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.