Prickly Pear Marmalade
This marmalade is unusually delicious; however it will only keep
about 9 months. If you give it away, let them know its storage life.
- 1 medium orange
- 3 prickly pears
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Remove peel from orange, reserve pulp and cut peel into thin strips.
Cover peel with water, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- Drain, cover with fresh water, and again simmer for 5 minutes. Drain a
- Add 1/2 cup fresh water, simmer for 5 minutes, do not drain.
- Remove seeds and heavy membranes from orange pulp, and dice. Prepare prickly
pears by peeling and removing seeds. (You can eat the seeds of the
fresh fruit, but they are not good when cooked.)
- Add diced orange pulp, 2 cups of the prickly pear pulp, orange juice,
lemon juice and sugar to the orange peel. Boil until it thickens
and the gel point is reached, about 30 minutes. Ladle into hot,
sterilized jars. Seal.
Fills 2 to 3 (1/2-pint) jars.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.