Scuppernong or Muscadine Jelly
- 4 quarts scuppernong or Muscadine grapes
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- Wash grapes, mash and place in preserving pot with enough water
to cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Press out juice through a colander; then strain through cheesecloth.
- For one recipe of jelly use 4 cups
of grape juice. Reserve the remaining juice in the refrigerator
for a week or freeze for future use.
- Pour grape juice into preserving pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- While juice is boiling, warm the sugar in a 200 degree F oven.
- Pour sugar into juice and cook over medium
heat until it reaches 220 degrees F on candy thermometer (about
- Skim off foam. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring
if using scuppernongs to give it a richer color.
- Pour into jars and seal.
Yield: 4 half pints