Seasoned Tomato Sauce
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 18 to 20 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Sauté onion, carrots, celery and green peppers in olive oil until
onions are limp and transparent.
- Peel, core and chop tomatoes (you
should have 4 quarts). Add to vegetables and cook about 15 minutes.
- Puree vegetables in a food processor, press through a fine sieve,
or put through a food mill.
- Add salt and cook sauce, uncovered,
until thick (about 1 hour), stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
The final consistency should fall halfway between juice and paste.
- Quickly ladle into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace;
- Process in boiling water bath for 45 minutes.
Yield: about 4 to 5 pints