- 6 cups peeled, sliced mangoes
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 3 peppercorns per pint
- Peel, pit and slice the mangoes to measure 6 cups.
- Tie spices (except peppercorns) in a cheesecloth bag.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar and spice bag in a large pot. Bring
to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add mangoes and simmer
until slightly translucent (about 5 minutes). Remove spice bag.
- Pack mangoes in clean, hot jars. Add peppercorns to each jar and
cover mangoes with hot syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Yield: about 4 pints