- 7 pounds cooking pears
- 2 cups vinegar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 sticks cinnamon, broken
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 lemon, sliced and seeded
- Peel and core pears and cut in half. Immediately place in cold water
to which a little lemon juice has been added to prevent turning
- Combine all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil 5
minutes, then add drained pears. Reduce heat and simmer until pears
are tender and can be pierced with a straw.
- Place pears in jars.
- Continue boiling syrup 10 minutes and pour over pears, including
some spices in each jar.
Yield: about 6 pints
Red or green food coloring may be added to jars if pears are to
be used for Christmas.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Canning Recipes