- 7 pounds cooking pears
- 2 cups vinegar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 sticks cinnamon, broken
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 lemon, sliced and seeded
- Peel and core pears and cut in half. Immediately place in cold water
to which a little lemon juice has been added to prevent turning
- Combine all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil 5
minutes, then add drained pears. Reduce heat and simmer until pears
are tender and can be pierced with a straw.
- Place pears in jars.
- Continue boiling syrup 10 minutes and pour over pears, including
some spices in each jar.
Yield: about 6 pints
Red or green food coloring may be added to jars if pears are to
be used for Christmas.