- 2 pounds watermelon rind, peeled and cubed*
- 1/4 cup pickling salt (not iodized)
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon powdered alum
- 1 cup vinegar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
* When peeling rind, be sure to leave some of the pink meat on.
- Make a brine with salt, 4 cups water and alum. Soak rind in this mixture
- Drain, rinse and cook slowly in water until barely tender.
Do not overcook or pickles will be soft. Drain.
- Bring to boil remaining
2 cups water, vinegar, sugar, lemon and spices which have been tied
in a cloth bag. Remove spice bag and pour hot syrup over rind. Let
- Drain and reheat syrup for three mornings and pour over rind.
- On the fourth morning, drain and reheat syrup and pour over rind
which has been packed into sterilized 3 pint or 6 half-pint jars.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Canning Recipes