This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 2 pounds salt herring fillets
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dill seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 red onion
- Soak the fillets in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
Change water twice.
- To make the pickling solution, combine water, vinegar, seasonings and sugar in
a saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar; let cool.
- Rinse the fillets with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into
- Peel and slice onion. Separate slices into rings.
- Arrange herring and onion rings in alternate layers in sterilized jars. Cover
with pickling solution and cap.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 6 days before serving.
Yield: 2 pints
The herring will keep up to 3 weeks refrigerated.