Bread and Butter Pickles
- 4 quarts cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 sweet green peppers (bell peppers), cut into strips
- 6 onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- Put cucumbers, green peppers, onions and garlic in a big (food safe)
plastic tub. Gently mix in salt. Cover with ice (about an inch).
Cover with a tea towel and let sit in a cool place overnight.
- The next morning, rinse and drain. Put into a large pot. Add remaining
ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Ladle into hot, sterile jars leaving
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.*
* Recommended processing time by the USDA.
Posted by ginnyo at Recipe Goldmine 8/22/2001 2:49 pm
Source: My mom, her mom, her mom, etc.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.