Bread and Butter Pickles 2
- 4 quarts cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 sweet green peppers (bell peppers), cut into strips
- 6 onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- Put cucumbers, green peppers, onions and garlic in a big (food safe)
plastic tub. Gently mix in salt. Cover with ice (about an inch).
Cover with a tea towel and let sit in a cool place overnight.
- The next morning, rinse and drain. Put into a large pot. Add remaining
ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Ladle into hot, sterile jars leaving
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.*
*recommended processing time by the USDA.
Posted by ginnyo at Recipe Goldmine 8/22/2001 2:49 pm
Source: My mom, her mom, her mom, etc.