Caponata (Aubergine Salad — Italy)
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup large green olives
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle cubes of eggplant with salt and leave them in a colander
to drain for 1 hour.
- Dry eggplant cubes thoroughly on paper towels.
- Heat plenty of olive oil in a pan and fry the eggplant until they
are brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry celery in the same oil as the eggplant and, when brown, remove from the pan.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add tomatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, return the eggplant and celery to the pan,
and simmer another 5 minutes.
You may can this or serve it cold after making.
To can, pour into glass jars, seal and boil for 20 minutes.
It will keep for months.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes