Caponata (Aubergine Salad — Italy)
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup large green olives
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle cubes of eggplant with salt and leave them in a colander
to drain for 1 hour.
- Dry eggplant cubes thoroughly on paper towels.
- Heat plenty of olive oil in a pan and fry the eggplant until they
are brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry celery in the same oil as the eggplant and, when brown, remove from the pan.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add tomatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, return the eggplant and celery to the pan,
and simmer another 5 minutes.
You may can this or serve it cold after making.
To can, pour into glass jars, seal and boil for 20 minutes.
keep for months.