This is an American classic!
- 1 (3 pound) head cabbage, cored
- 6 medium white onions, peeled
- 6 large red bell peppers, seeded
- 6 large green bell peppers, seeded
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons mustard seed
- 3 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Grind vegetables in a food grinder with coarsest blade or finely
chop in food processor. Mix with salt. Stir well and let stand 3
to 4 hours.
- Drain in a colander lined with cheesecloth, pressing to remove excess
- Tie cloves, allspice and cinnamon in a cheesecloth bag.
- Combine vegetables, spice bag and remaining ingredients in a large
pot and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.
- Ladle into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Yield: 7 pints
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes