Five Pepper Jelly
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 4 large jalapeno or serrano peppers
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 2 pouches fruit pectin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds, toasted
- Boil six 1/2-pint canning jars for at least 15 minutes. Place flat
lids in saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat
and let stand in hot water until ready to fill. Drain well before
- Stem and halve all peppers, discard seeds and finely chop the peppers.
Measure 3 cups into a colander. Add onion and 1 teaspoon of the
salt. Let drain for 3 hours, pressing to extract as much moisture
- Place pepper mix in a 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Add vinegar, lemon
juice, 1 teaspoon of salt, chili powder and crushed pepper. Measure
sugar in a separate bowl. Scrape excess sugar from cup with a spatula
to level for exact measure.
- Mix sugar thoroughly into peppers in sauce pot. Add butter and bring
this mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Stir in fruit pectin and return to a full rolling
boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cumin seeds. Skim any foam with a metal
spoon. Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/3-inch
of the top. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids
and screw bands tightly. Invert jars for 5 minutes and turn upright.
Yield: about 6 (1-cup) jars
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.