Garlic Dill Pickles
- 4 pounds 3- to 4-inch pickling cucumbers
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
For each jar
- 1 fresh dill "head" with seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small dried hot chile
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pickles: Prepare 7 (1 pint) jars according to manufacturer's directions.
Slice cucumbers into quarters lengthwise. Combine water, vinegar,
sugar and salt in a large pan. Toss pickling spice into the liquid.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- For each jar: With clean hands, pack the cucumber spears snugly in the jars. Add
dill, bay leaf, garlic, chile and mustard seeds to each jar. Pour
the hot liquid over the cucumbers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process
the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes. For best flavor, let the
pickles sit for at least one week before serving them.