- 1/2 cup fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 (2 ounce) package powdered pectin
- 1/4 teaspoon butter or oil
- 2 drops food coloring (optional)
- Combine garlic and vinegar in a 2-quart kettle. Simmer mixture gently,
uncovered, over medium heat, for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat
and pour mixture into a 1-quart glass jar. Cover and let stand at
room temperature for 24 to 36 hours.
- Pour flavored vinegar through a wire strainer into a bowl, pressing
the garlic with the back of a spoon to squeeze out liquid. Discard
any residue. Measure the liquid and add vinegar, if needed, to make
- Measure sugar into a dry bowl. Combine the garlic-vinegar solution
and the water in a 5 or 6 quart kettle. Add pectin, stirring well.
Over high heat, bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly to avoid
scorching. Add sugar, and stir well. Bring mixture to a full, rolling
boil. Add butter to reduce foaming. Continue stirring. Boil the
mixture hard for exactly 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and skim off any foam. Add red, yellow or orange
food coloring if desired. Pour jelly into prepared glasses. Seal
according to directions on recipe folder in pectin package.
Yield: approximately 5 cups