- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups sliced carrots, cut 1/4-inch thick
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups red and green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- In a 6 to 8 quart saucepot, combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, pickling spice
and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 4 minutes.
- Add vegetables, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are hot, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately fill hot quart or pint jars with mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Carefully run a nonmetallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles.
Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jar and screw bands on firmly
but not to tight (about finger tip tight).
- Process quarts or pints in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
Yield: 3 quarts or 5 to 6 pints
Boil jars for 10 minutes in a canning kettle large enough to hold 6 or
7 jars and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water. Keep jars in kettle
till ready to use. Remove jars one at a time and fill with pickles or jam. (You
will find that a jar lifter is handy. Call Ball or Kerr Jars for ordering.) Return
water in kettle to a boil put jars back into the kettle of boiling water and for
pickles only start to time 10 minutes. Canning kettle should have a rack in the
bottom for jars. The jars should not sit on the kettle bottom.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes