Green Tomato-Jalapeno Relish
This is great served with fried fish and hush puppies.
- 5 pounds (10 to 12 medium) green tomatoes
- 1 pound onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh jalapenos
- 2 cups unrefined cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- Prepare 6 (1 pint) canning jars according to manufacturer's directions.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions and jalapenos in batches in a food processor, and reserve them.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a stockpot, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add vegetables and boil the mixture vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the relish into the prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.
- Process the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.