Green Tomato Relish
This is great served with fried fish and hush puppies.
- 10 cups ground green tomatoes
- 2 cups ground green bell pepper
- 4 cups ground dry onions
- 1 cup. ground red pepper
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon alum
- 1 small jar chopped pimento
- In a food processor, grind the green tomatoes, bell pepper, onions and
red pepper. Place in a plastic or pottery container with salt and water to
cover. Stir all together; cover and let stand for 24 hours.
- Next day, drain brine from vegetables and place in large kettle. Add
remaining ingredients. When all is well mixed, cook over medium heat slowly,
for about 1/2 hour, stirring often. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- When cooked, fill pint, sterilized, hot jars to within 1/2-inch of top
and seal with sterilized lids and rings.
Approximately 5 large green bell peppers equal 2 cups ground.
Approximately 2 large red peppers equal 1 cup ground.
Approximately 4 large plus 2 small onions equal 4 cups ground.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes