Kinda Sorta Sour Pickles
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar (I have used white wine vinegar)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice (I add about 2 teaspoons total, one teaspoon in the jar)
- 4 plus whole garlic cloves, smashed
- Fresh dill
- Combine the onion and cucumber slices in a clean 1 -quart spring-top jar.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the garlic, in a non-reactive
saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 full minutes to wake up the spice flavors.
- Add the garlic cloves to the jar. Slowly and gently pour the pickling liquid
over the onion and cucumber slices, filling to the top of the jar.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Top off the pickles with any remaining pickling liquid and refrigerate.
I have used Kirby pickles and cauliflower too. I also put about half of
the sugar and turmeric in and really load up on the dill and fresh garlic. These
little darlings are ready in 4 hours. They can last about a month in the fridge.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 3:37:34pm 8/1/03.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown Show: Good Eats Episode: American Pickle