As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/4 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, oregano or marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Cook onion, celery and carrots in olive oil over medium heat in a large pot,
covered, until the vegetables are tender — about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Put the sauce through the medium disc of a food mill if you prefer a smooth sauce.
Omit this step if you prefer a smoother sauce.
- Add remaining seasonings (except salt) and simmer, stirring often, until sauce
reaches desired consistency (about 20 minutes). Add salt. Remove bay leaf.
- Pack into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath 45 minutes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes