Open Jar Pickles
These pickles need not be sealed and will keep indefinitely. They
are crisp and delicious.
- 9 pounds medium-size cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1 pint water
- 3 pounds granulated sugar
- 6 cups vinegar
- 1 ounce stick cinnamon
- 1/2 ounce whole allspice
- Make salt brine to cover cucumbers, using 1 cup salt to 1 gallon
water. Let stand for 3 days, then drain.
- Soak cucumbers in cold water for the next 3 days, changing the water
- Drain and cut pickles crosswise into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Mix 1 pint vinegar with 1 pint water, add alum and allow pickles to simmer in this
solution for 2 hours. For a greener appearance, a little green coloring
may be added.
- Drain and pack in earthen or glass jar.
- Combine sugar, vinegar and spices and let boil 5 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup over pickles.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes