This is a delicious hot dog and hamburger relish!
- 4 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 4 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Chop vegetables using the coarse blade of a food grinder or in a food processor.
- Combine vegetables and salt; cover and let stand overnight.
- Drain off as much liquid as possible, pressing through a clean, thin white cloth
- Tie cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a cheesecloth bag.
- Place vegetables, spice bag and remaining ingredients in a large pot. Bring to
a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Ladle into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.
Yield: 4 pints