This is a wonderful recipe from the Midwest. We ate these all the time when I was growing up. Don’t forget to save the liquid for marinating peeled hard boiled eggs.
- 6 medium-size beets, uncooked
- Cold water to cover beets
- 1 1/2 cups wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- Cover whole beets with water and boil until tender. Drain, reserving
1 1/4 cups of liquid.
- When beets are cool, slice off tops and bottoms.
Then, using your fingers, slip off skins. Slice beets.
- Bring vinegar and reserved cooking liquid to a boil.
- Add mustard, salt and sugar. Stir and bring to boil again.
- Remove and set aside.
- Arrange beet slices and onions in layers in clean, screw-top jars.
Add dill seeds. Cover with hot vinegar mixture. Tightly screw on tops.
- Process for 30 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Cool and allow to set several days in refrigerator before serving.
Yield: 6 cups