- 3 pounds cauliflower (cut into florets or 1-inch pieces)
- 8 onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons salt, dissolved in 2 quarts water
- 1 small, dried hot red pepper
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white mustard seed
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Place cauliflower and onions in a bowl; cover with salt water; let
- Next day, drain and rinse vegetables several times with cold water.
- Tie hot pepper and cloves in cheesecloth bag. Add spice bag to remaining
ingredients in a large pot; bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook until barely tender (about 5 minutes). Do
- Remove spice bag.
- Pack cauliflower and onions into clean, hot jars,
leaving 3/4-inch headspace. Cover with boiling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch