- 4 1/2 pounds okra, small or medium
- 8 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 hot red peppers
- 10 teaspoon dill seed
- 10 teaspoon mustard seed
- Wash okra and brush lightly with a piece of nylon net or brush to
remove "fuzz." Trim okra stems without cutting too close.
- Sterilize 10 pint jars and keep hot until ready to use.
- Combine vinegar, water and salt and bring to a boil. Into each jar
pack okra in 2 vertical layers. The first layer should be packed
with the stems down and the next layer with the stems up. Also add
to each jar 1 clove garlic, 1 hot red pepper, 1 teaspoon dill seed
and 1 teaspoon mustard seed.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over okra
and seal. To ensure a good seal, process 5 minutes in boiling water
- Let stand several weeks before opening.
Yield: 10 pints
If very small okra
is used, then half pint jars should be used instead.
Very small pickled okra is delicious in a martini.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Canning Recipes