Pickled Yellow Squash
- 8 cups sliced yellow squash
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup non-iodized salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- Place squash, onions and peppers in a large container. Sprinkle
with salt. Cover with ice and fill container with water. Let mixture
stand 3 hours.
- Drain vegetables.
- Boil sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed for 3 minutes.
- Add the squash to sugar mixture and boil 3 minutes longer.
- Put squash
into 8-ounce hot sterile jars. Cover with the liquid and seal.
Yield: 8 (8-ounce) jars