Red Cinnamon Pickles
- 7 pounds peeled, seeded cucumbers in strips
- 1 cup lime
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 bottle red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon alum
- Enough water to cover pickles
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 10 cups granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 large packages Red Hots cinnamon candies (see Note)
- 8 sticks cinnamon
- Soak cucumbers, lime and 1 gallon water for 24 hours.
- Wash cucumbers. Soak in ice water for 3 hours.
- Mix 1 cup vinegar, food coloring, alum and enough water to cover pickles. Simmer in
this mixture for 2 hours.
- Pour off liquid and throw away.
- Boil 3 cups vinegar, 2 cups water,
sugar, candies and cinnamon. Pour over cucumbers. Let stand for 24 hours.
- Drain liquid and bring to boil.
- Put cucumbers into jars with 1 to 2 sticks cinnamon in each jar.
- Pour hot liquid over jars and seal.
This information is from Yvonne in Mississippi:
DO NOT use red hots candy that lists cornstarch as an ingredients.
They will not work for this recipe. The brand to use is Farley's
which uses sucrose, corn syrup, artificial flavor, red 40 and beeswax.
This will work great and the pickles will be free of white matter
after processing is done.
These can also be ordered from the Cane & Reed Company in Connecticut.
Phone number is 1 860 646-6586.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.