Roman-Style Artichokes in Oil
- 75 very small artichokes*
- 1 1/2 cups lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 clove garlic per pint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil per pint
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint or 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint per pint
- 6 cups olive oil
* Look for artichokes with compact, green heads and tightly closed
- Remove outer leaves from artichokes; cut off bud tops and stem ends
(leave 1 1/2-inch stem if possible). Wash thoroughly.
- In a large pot, combine lemon juice and quarts water. Add artichokes,
bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Drain and place artichokes
in large bowl or crock. Add equal parts of vinegar and water to
cover artichokes. Cover and let stand 10 hours or overnight.
- Drain liquid. Add garlic, basil and mint to clean, hot jars.
- Pack in artichokes and cover with oil, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 pints