- 3 pounds small beets
- 1 pound small white onions
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- Wash beets and cut off roots, leaving 2 to 3 inches of stem attached. Cook in
boiling water 10 to 15 minutes until barely tender; plunge into cold water, slip
off skins and remove stems.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add beets and onions; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until beets are tender.
- Pack beets and onions into clean, hot jars; cover with hot spiced brine, leaving
1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes.
Yield: 4 to 5 pints