Vidalia Onion Jelly
- 2 pounds Vidalia onions or other sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 9 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package powdered pectin
- 3/4 cup white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Combine onion and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and
- Press onion through a jelly bag or cheesecloth to extract juice. If necessary,
add water to juice to measure 3 cups.
- Discard onion pulp.
- Combine onion liquid, pectin, and vinegar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring
to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar, and return to a boil.
- Remove from heat; skim foam off with a metal spoon.
- Pour hot jelly quickly through a sieve into hot sterilized jars, filling to 1/4
inch from top; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
Yield: 6 half-pints
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 28, 2001
Source: Mary Wells