Beans and Wieners under Cornbread
- 2 (12 ounce) package all-beef wieners
- 4 (16 ounce) cans vegetarian beans
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons hot-pepper sauce
- 2 scallions, including part of the green, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown wieners in skillet. Cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces.
- Mix beans, ketchup, mustard, sugar, molasses and pepper sauce in 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Stir in wieners. (This much can be fixed ahead and refrigerated.)
- Meanwhile, sauté green onion in oil until soft. Set aside.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in green onion with oil.
- Mix eggs and milk in small bowl. Stir into flour mixture until smooth and spoon over casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.