Beef Chili Cheese Fries
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Salt and cayenne to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beefsteak or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Masa Harina
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into shoestrings, rinsed in cool water and patted dry
- 1/2 pound grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
Add the onions, season with salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring,
until they begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper and oregano.
Season with salt and cayenne, and cook until all the pink in
the meat disappears, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and 2 1/2 cups beef stock;
bring to boil, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered,
until the meat is tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Combine the Masa Harina with the remaining 1/2 cup stock and
mix to blend. Slowly add to the pot, stirring to blend. The
mixture will thicken. Cook for 30 minutes, then season again
with salt and cayenne. It should be thick enough to coat the
back of a spoon.
- In a heavy, deep pot or an electric fryer, heat 4 inches of
vegetable oil to 360 degrees F. Fry the shoestring potatoes
in batches until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Drain
on paper towels, then season with salt and cayenne.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover the bottom of a large, glass rectangular baking pan with
the shoestring potatoes.
- Combine the Cheddar and jack cheeses. Sprinkle the cheese over the fries.
- Bake just until the cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spoon the chili over the top of the fries.
- Garnish with the sour cream and jalapenos.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Source: Emeril Lagasse
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.